Sunday, May 12, 2013

Great Gatsby Inspired Senior Session

Themed sessions can often turn out so cheesy and so over-themed that the portraits really lose their inherent value.  Most people do not display portrait of the kids dressed in costumes.  Picture it....your 6 year old has a Cinderella themed session.  It's gorgeous...but how long re you going to want a 20x30 framed canvas of your baby dressed up as Cinderella, right?

I was very conscious of that problem when I decided to use the Gatsby-styled hairbows in my senior session with Camry.  She was the perfect Daisy...gorgeous, sleek blond hair cut in a vintage bob that framed her face and the clearest blue eyes!  Blue is a motif in the novel...it is symbolic and ever present throughout the novel, so naturally I used my blue flapper-styled headband  and my blue over-the-top shabby chic silk flower headband.  Luckily, Camry had the perfect blouse to go with the head adornments.  From there it was just about waiting until we had taken enough pictures for her to be relaxed and the sun to get low enough in the sky.

In the end they were perfect.  Even in black and white, which worried me because in my mind's eye the blue was so necessary, but something about the classic nature of black and white images really complemented the Gatsby theme.

Of course, since the Gatsby theme was completely self-indulgent, I made sure we took plenty of images that did not involve huge honking headbands. ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment