Wednesday, October 16, 2013

We're off to see the wizard!

One of my favorite things to do in photography is let my imagination run wild and put a new twist on an old tale.
This week I was honored to have budding young model, Caitlin C.,  ask me to build a session for her.  Something different, she said.  Something new, she said.
While the idea of taking old tales and adding new spins is not necessarily new to the world, it was new to her and will add a eye-catching layout to her portfolio.

I had actually wanted to do this session for a while.  I had played with it with a couple of children early in my career, but what I really wanted to do was take a dark look at Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz .

I only had a few days to pull it all together, so  I really had to work fast and get lucky finding the right accessories.

I started by shopping for artificial red poppies.  I found those for $3 a bunch at one of those gigantic superstores (which shall remain un-named!).  I also grabbed a bale of straw.  Then came the thrift stores---I needed red glitter shoes, so I bought a $2 pair of classically hideous pumps and a can of red glitter paint. Next, I stumbled across the perfect sequined evening dress--short, sexy, and dark.  I picked up a couple of other cheap dresses that would show off Caitlin's endless legs.  Together with a few odd and end props from my prop room, a plan came together.

The session was shot with a Canon 5d Mark ii, a 25-78 2.8 lens, and a 70-200 2.8 lens at 3 in the afternoon.
The results are just fantastic.  Thanks so much Caitlin for letting me have free run. (And thanks to her sweet momma, too, for being and excellent assistant!)








No comments:

Post a Comment